Friday, November 18, 2005

If I should Speak

Salams
I just wanted to write a quick post to tell you about a couple of novels I've had in my collection of books for some time now which I think might appeal to the you, but for sure to the younger generation of Muslims.

'If I should Speak' by Umm Zakiyyah
ISBN: 097076670X
description from Amazon
The author promises to revolutionize story telling in this powerful story about three college students, one Christian and the others Muslim, who find themselves unlikely roommates at a small, private American university. Tamika, the main character of this novel, is a sophomore in college who dreams of becoming a famous singer. After a fight with her roommate, she is forced to move out of her room and ends up living with two Muslims, one who is religious, while the other is becoming discontented with the religion. Tamika is immediately drawn to Durrah, the latter, who shares her love for singing. Durrah is emerging as a successful model and singer in her own right and enjoys a growing level of prominence in her career, which has earned her many admirers, Tamika being one. Captivated by Durrah's magnetic personality, breathtaking beauty, and powerful singing voice, Tamika has found both a friend and mentor in life. As the seeds of friendship are sown between them, the doors of fame are beginning to open for Tamika. But she is unprepared for the one obstacle that stands in her way to success...

My own personal opinion is that Mashallah this book is a great read for all, especially those who want to attend University. I got so stuck into this book that I found it hard to put down.
In fact I even brought the sequel 'A Voice' by Umm Zakiyyah (ISBN: 0970766726). Both books are rather like an islamic lecture but with a fictional story context attached to it, making them very interesting to read. I brought both mine from Amazon though I think they may be more easily available in shops now. Waterstones might be able to order them for you if you give them the ISBN.

Onto a more recent book I read during Ramadan 'Hazrat Shaykhul Hadith and I...' a translation of the original written by Maulana Yusuf Motala. In this book we are given glimpses into the life of Maualana Zakariyya (r.a) and subhanallah its amazing to read of such pious personalities and the sacrifices and concern they had for the religion of Islam. Moreso amazing is that such personalities were dwelling upon Allahs earth just a few years ago. Anyway given I still havent been able to read Aap Beeti I found this a brilliant substitute.

I'd like to hear suggestions or recommendations of books that the readers of this blog might have, through the comments link. It goes without saying Qur'an should be at the top of each Muslims list, and we should devote time daily to at least recite a portion of it.
Anyhow its been a year since this blog started, read the first post Salams, ignore the first paragraph though please!
Off topic, the comments function is now moderated, so those comments I deem unfit to publish wont be accepted. Inshallah, this will make this site a more friendlier site.
Remember me in your duas.
Wasalam

No comments: