- For cutting the grass: $5.00
- For cleaning up my room this week: $1.00
- For going to the store for you: $.50
- Baby-sitting my kid brother while you went shopping: $.25
- Taking out the garbage: $1.00
- For getting a good report card: $5.00
- For cleaning up and raking the yard: $2.00
Total owed: $14.75
Well, his mother looked at him standing there, and the boy could see the memories flashing through her mind. She picked up the pen, turned over the paper he’d written on, and this is what she wrote:
- For the nine months I carried you while you were growing inside me: No Charge.
- For all the nights that I’ve sat up with you, doctored and prayed for you: No Charge.
- For all the trying times, and all the tears that you’ve caused through the years: No Charge.
- For all the nights filled with dread, and for the worries I knew were ahead: No Charge.
- For the toys, food, clothes, and even wiping your nose: No Charge.
When you add it up, the cost of my love is: No Charge.
When the boy finished reading what his mother had written, there were big tears in his eyes, and he looked straight up at his mother and said, “Mom, I sure do love you.”
And then he took the pen and in great big letters he wrote: “PAID IN FULL”
Stories such as these and many other beneficial ones can be found on Qisas website.
The reality of our condition today is that we do a great injustice to the love, sacrifices, services and upbringing our parents have given us. Rather we focus on what they are unable or refuse to give us. When was the time last time we gave them a gift or even a smile? Have we ever even made du'a for out parents?
We need to take the time out to step back and review all that they have done for us, from birth until present day, only then will we come towards realising and understanding the true position of the Mother (and father) which the Beloved Messenger Muhammad (pbuh) detailed for us through various ahadith.
May Allah swt give me and the readers to draw lessons from the above and give the true status and respect our parents deserve. Ameen.
see also: Mum & Dad poem